A New Generation of Biologically Targeted Radiation Therapy
Combining targeted boron-10 drugs and low-energy neutrons in a novel way to find and treat cancers at the cellular level
Guiding Cancer Treatment from Inside the Body
BNCT is an advanced form of radiotherapy that combines the biological targeting precision of a benign boron-10 (10B) target drug with a neutron source to deliver a therapeutic treatment dose only in the cells that contain 10B. The neutrons captured by 10B then generate short-range alpha and lithium particles in the cancer cells that directly create a double DNA strand break in the cancer cells, outperforming other conventional cancer treatments.
BNCT has demonstrated compelling responses for recurrent or refractory cancers, including head and neck cancers, glioblastoma, osteosarcoma, melanoma, liver caners and has been successful in treating cancer patients for whom other treatment options have been exhausted.
How BNCT Works
BNCT is a targeted, non-invasive combination cancer treatment
A patient is first infused with a non-toxic boron-10 compound, which selectively accumulates in tumor tissue
After the infusion, the tumor is irradiated with low energy neutrons
The reaction, inside the cells, emits charged particles
The charged particles destroy the cancer cell while limiting damage to surrounding healthy tissue without boron-10
Benefits of BNCT
Cellular-level precision, spares more healthy tissues and can potentially treat cancers that otherwise have few treatment options.
Global research shows BNCT provides the following benefits:
- Effective in treating recurrent, multiple, and untreated cancers
- Targets cancer at cellular level
- Selectively destroys cancer cells
- Eliminates the need for respiratory gating and internal markers
- One to two treatment sessions
- Treats primary and undetected local microscopic cancer cells in parallel
- Potential for more patient throughput than other radiation therapies
Better Patient Experience
- Does not require high-level patient positioning, improving patient comfort and reducing staff workload
- Potential to greatly reduce side effects and improve patient quality of life